The tools we'll be exploring are tools that can enhance your CREATIVITY, COMMUNICATION, COLLABORATION, and PERSONAL PRODUCTIVITY.
HERE IS MY DISCLAIMER/SOAPBOX:
Technology is a tool. BYOD programs, 1:1 programs, classroom carts of iPads and Chromebooks, none of these are replacing or subsuming good teaching. The adoption of devices and the usage of digital tools should enhance, when enhancements are necessary; replace when replacement makes sense; and, ultimately, free you and your students by providing greater access to information, by providing tools to communicate and collaborate, by providing opportunities to create "beyond the box", and by making our lives more efficient. Harnessing the power of the web and of student devices is a good thing; using technology without a clear purpose is not. If it makes more sense to assess, teach a lesson, or organize yourself analog-style (paper + pencil, etc.), do it that way. If you or your students can benefit from using a web tool, give it a try! If it fails, who cares? How better to demonstrate to students the importance of taking risks and trying new things than to learn something new together-- regardless if it's a "success" on the first try?
TO COMPLETE THE INTRODUCTION:
- Create a blog for the program. You could use Blogger (a Google Apps product), WordPress, or something else. If you currently maintain a class or personal blog and would like to use that instead, simply create a page within that blog for the 11 Things on a Jeepney program. See Alicia if you need help!
- Write your first post.
- Introduce yourself and your role
- Let us know what you think about technology in education-- what you like, don't like, questions, concerns, favorite things, etc.
- Tell us your favorite place to visit in Asia
- Send me (Alicia) the link to your blog (email@example.com).
BONUS MATERIAL THAT I COULDN'T RESIST INCLUDING:
For a short, inspiring interview with Sir Ken Robinson on the art of teaching and how technology offers new opportunities to engage student imagination, watch this:
Embedded below is the interactive flyer explaining the Level Up! With 11 Things on a Jeepney program: